The power of Email Marketing in India is not known to many.
As per a survey, 95% of people check their emails every day. Also, around 59% of people say that email marketing influences their purchase decision. Email marketing in India is the most preferred direct marketing channel. Globally average ROI on email marketing is around $40 for every $1 spend (DMA, 2019). This article will go deep into the most successful email marketing strategies to open flood gates of sales for your business.
By the end of this article, you will have a comprehensive understanding of how to leverage the power of email marketing and design your lead generation machine.
Ray Tomlinson a computer engineer was the inventor of emails and the first email was sent way back in 1971. The message was just a string of numbers and letters, but it was the start of a new era of communication that the world was going to experience. Usage of the “@” symbol in email addresses was also introduced by Tomlinson.
Email has been part of our lives for almost the last 25 years. Email marketing is sending commercial mail to your email list to those who have signed up to receive communication from your side. Email marketing is used to build a community around your business and eventually sell them your products or services.
Role of Email Marketing in India
Email marketing plays an important role in your marketing strategy for brand awareness, lead generation, building relationships and keeping customers engaged. India has around 624.0 million internet users in January 2021. Out of which 77.5% users are from mobile, 21.94% from desktop and 0.56% from tablet. The highest-rated activity that people perform on mobile is checking emails. It is used by almost everyone.
Companies in India have come to know that Email marketing has an ROI of 4400%. Companies that utilize and master email marketing enjoy higher sales and a more cost-efficient approach to their marketing. Still, it is not used by many companies and those using it are gaining an upper edge over others.
Objectives of Email Marketing
Following objectives can be achieved through effective email marketing
- Increase your Brand Awareness
- Boost your Sales
- Create your Credibility in the market
- Traffic Generation
- Helps in shortening the Sales Cycle
- Automate Tasks
Advantages Of Email Marketing in India
Email marketing comfortably outperforms all online marketing strategies, including SEO, PPC, social media and content marketing!
Currently, social media marketing is on the rise, most of us think Email marketing is dead. But in India, Email marketing campaigns are the best ROI provided by an online marketing channel.
Around 58% of people send marketing, informational and promotional email per week, 22% send an email daily, 30% of email marketers send on an average of 50,000 emails monthly. Companies have a good advantage as this space still does not have tough competition. Your promotional emails land into your customer’s email inbox which has the potential of getting converted into sales.
Email marketing in India offers you many advantages. Some of them are listed below:
- It offers a fantastic ROI. You spend less and get a lot more. Lower cost compared to mainstream marketing channels
- Deliver targeted messages to the right people
- You can measure its impact instantly
- Easy to get started, a novice can also setup the system
- It offers a global reach and messages can be sent according to different time zones
- Subscribers can forward it easily to near ones, which increases its reach.
- You can deliver targeted messages
- You can track click-through rates, open rates, conversion rates, unsubscriptions, etc.
- You can take advantage of impulse buying
- Reach an already engaged audience who knows you
- Drive revenue through a call to action i.e CTA
Types of Marketing Emails
Marketing emails can be divided into mainly 4 types:
- Product update email: These emails inform your clients about the updates of your product. It is helpful for SAAS companies to enlighten their customers with new features about their application or software. You can club 2 to 4 features and send one mail.
- Digital newsletters: Many companies opt-in for digital newsletters to educate their customers and stakeholders about a specific industry or a particular domain. You can send newsletters daily, weekly, or monthly to your subscribers. Your newsletters should provide value and crisp information to keep your subscribers connected to you. It should help them expand their knowledge. Include review and testimonials
- Information Email: Informational emails are used to describe and promote products, services or a specific event. Announcements of sales, product launch, coupons, free trials, referrals, or events such as a webinar, open house, etc. These emails have a specific “call to action(CTA)” with an objective to make your readers take action.
An attractive and catchy design is very important for the Information emails to stand out. Your main offer should be properly highlighted. A lot of thought should be put into the call-to-action links and buttons to trigger your customer to purchase your service or product. Your email subject line acts as a pivot to make your email worth clicking. To gain maximum conversion out of your emails focus on the copy of the email.
- Transactional Email: Usually, marketing emails are sent to a group of people at once in your list. Transactional emails are sent to one customer at a time because they are triggered when there is some action. It is based on the action taken on your website or app. These can be signup emails, order confirmations, billing emails, Welcome email or Thank You email. It is used to communicate key information at each stage of your customer’s purchase journey.
The Anti Spam Law
Email marketing laws in India and the Anti-Spam Act restricts sending of unsolicited marketing emails to your subscribers. You can still send unsolicited emails to business subscribers if the information is relevant to your business. The best way to send marketing emails to your customers is by sending an email newsletter on a weekly or monthly basis. If you want to send updates, new offers and promotions – or anything that you think your customer might be interested in hearing about, an email newsletter can be the best option for that.
To play safe, building your email list organically should be your option. Out there you may get tons of email databases for a few dollars but it does not work well and you may get into trouble doing this. If you send an email to a person who has subscribed to your list does not feel annoyed when you send an email.
Strategies for better email marketing campaigns
The first step is to define what goal you want to achieve with your email marketing campaigns. Following are the keys to make a good email marketing system that helps you to achieve your goals
1. List building:
A good list is the foundation of any successful email marketing campaign. In the old days before the CAN-SPAM policy it was easy to buy an email list and start sending emails, this is called cold messaging. It may have worked well if your list was filtered. But now this violation is fined heavily. You build an organic list through Signup forms on the website, pop-ups to collect leads, a lead magnet that offers free ebooks, video or some irresistible reward for a signup, newsletter signups. Try to keep this input form as short as possible to help high signups.
2. Personalize your messages:
It is a good strategy to send personalized emails. It does not mean you send email to every single user. Good email marketing software offers custom data fields to achieve this. If you get an email from your bank you notice it is addressed to you with your first name and last name.
Dear Rahul Khanna,
Personalization can generate $24 for each dollar invested
Still 60% of companies do not use personalization within their email marketing strategy. Listed below are some more strategies on how to use personalization in your emails
- Use personalization in the subject line. This can increase your open rates by 15%
- Ask for the name and other personal details at the time of signup
- Use a real reply-to email. If you use [email protected] it takes away trust in your receiver. Use real names as the reader wants to connect with you. This increases trust and credibility.
- Use a real signature where your contact information, social media links are listed. Here you give the opportunity to the readers to connect with you.
3. Subscriber segmentation
Segmentation is dividing your large database of subscribers into small segments. These segments can be geographical location, interests, purchase status, profession, abandoned shopping carts and the list goes on. Let’s take an example
You plan to launch a course to help people to quit their 9 to 5 job and start affiliate marketing. If your segment is not divided and you send mail to business owners with the subject line “Rahul Quit your 9 to 5 job and join my program”. They would be highly annoyed to receive this mail.
Segmentation helps your laser target your prospects by delivering the right message to them.
8 out of 10 email marketers do not segment their list
I conducted a test with my list with same subject line on both the mails
Non-segmented email earned an impressive 40% open rate and a 5% click-through rate. Whereas Segmented email campaigns earned a 92% open rate and a 39% click-through rate!
4. Copy, Design and buttons
Content is the King. Make your content attractive and inviting which includes text and images. If your email looks like a personal conversation with a friend, the better it will perform. Make the email look like it was designed for the reader. Provide tons of value in your email.
Most of the email marketing software provides AB testing for your subject lines and content. People receive lots of emails every day. To grab their attention you need to work hard on this part.
5. Mobile friendly Emails
Did you know 43% of emails open from mobiles. If your reader receives a not mobile optimised email on his mobile he will mostly unsubscribe from your list.
Revenue earned by you per email on mobile devices is 4X higher than desktop
- Make your emails responsive by converting your email to a one-column template
- Increase the font size to improve readability on mobiles.
- Follow the iOS guideline for an effective email
- Make the call-to-action above the fold and big to make it clickable
- Try to keep important messages at the centre of the screen as most people prefer to scroll with their thumb.
Sending trigger-based emails automatically to readers based on their behaviour performs high against your traditional emails.
Trigger-based emails can generate 5X more revenue and 18x higher profits.
For example, if you visit an eCommerce website and add shoes to your cart and procrastinate to buy the product. In around 3 hours you get an email from the eCommerce website with your order details plus a discount and a bonus product with your selection. You will definitely buy it now.
Sending these kinds of emails needs some study and planning.
7. Customer Focus
Simply sending emails will not work, you need to focus on the intention of you sending the email. Keep your customer at the centre of the email as if you are directly reading the email in front of him. Consider the below points to place your email out of the clutter.
- Keep your email simple and to the point. You can choose short or long emails as per your content demand.
- Use a specific CTA. Our main aim is to get more and more people to take action from your email
- Landing pages must be informative and should have that WOW factor.
- Your message must be compelling
- Time your emails precisely. The best time can be 8 pm but you can do A/B testing to find out your best time of the day.
- Follow up as soon as action registers from your email
Email Marketing for course creators
If you are planning to launch your own course refer to my blog on “How to create and sell online courses in 90 days?”
Email marketing in India plays a very important role for course creators. It can help them in following ways
- Create leads magnets and start your list building
- Send valuable content to this list to nurture them for the next step
- Call them to your live webinar after good nurturing is done. Now they trust you and are ready to buy your product at the end of the webinar.
- Once they buy, send a welcome message with LMS login details.
- Keep sending informative content so your customers are with you in the transformational journey.
- Use emails for announcements
FAQ’s on Email marketing in India
What is Email Marketing?
Email Marketing is a form of direct marketing that uses email channels to promote your business and service. It is typically used to generate leads and sales for any business.
Does email marketing work in India?
Yes definitely as it offers 4400% ROI and helps boost sales for companies.
What is the scope of email marketing?
The scope is very high as in the market there is a high demand for digital agencies and freelancers who can effectively carry out effective email marketing for companies.
Can I send marketing emails to my customers?
Yes, definitely you can send it. But you need to follow certain rules, if you fail to follow you will be penalized if your list is not your own.
What makes good email marketing?
A good email marketing system is that which helps you to achieve your goals.
What are the 4 types of marketing emails?
4 types of marketing email are Product update email, Digital newsletters, Information Email and Transactional Email.
How to monetize email marketing?
Sell a product or service, Sell other people’s products as an affiliate, Upsell or downsell products, Cross-sell related products of the same category, Have a cart abandonment system, Automate your email campaigns, Get repeat orders
Which is the best email marketing tool?
Convertkit is the best marketing tool which is simple to use yet powerful. Click here
Can I do email marketing without a website?
You can do email marketing without a website through Facebook or LinkedIn lead ads, but you may get less qualified leads as people trust you less if you don’t have web presence.
What email marketing mistakes should be avoided?
Mistakes to avoid in email marketing are emails not optimised for the mobile, improper call to action, sending emails on the purchased list, too much of design, not attractive subject line, frequent promotional emails to your list.
You have many channels available to reach your audience, but you need to prioritize your efforts to get high output.
Whatever you have learned till now, email marketing in India is by far the most effective channel to attract, engage, and connect with an audience to drive sales and revenue for your business.
So start your first email marketing campaign now and see a good boost of revenue in a short span of time.